BENGHAZI, Libya - Two bombs exploded at a mosque in Libya’s Benghazi on Friday, leaving two people dead and over 75 others injured.
Libyan officials said that bombs went off inside the Saad Ibn Ibada mosque in Benghazi's busy Berka district when Friday prayers were ongoing.
Motaz Agouri, an official at Benghazi security directorate's media office said that the bombs were planted in separate rooms inside the mosque.
Sources told local media that one bomb was hidden in a coffin in the courtyard of the mosque while another one was hidden inside a shoe cabinet at the entrance.
The blast comes weeks after twin car bombings took place outside a mosque in Benghazi on January 24, that left nearly 40 people dead.
So far, no claim of responsibility for that attack has been made.
However, the attack has underscored the ongoing chaos in the Benghazi region which is controlled by the forces of military strongman Kahlifa Haftar, , who opposes a UN-backed unity government based in Tripoli.
In July last year, after a three-year campaign, Haftar announced Benghazi's "liberation" from jihadists.
However, Libya continues to be wracked by violence and divisions after the country descended into chaos when dictator Moamer Kadhafi was toppled and killed in a 2011 NATO-backed uprising.