Provisional Northern Ireland local authority collected municipal waste management statistics for January to March 2022 have been published today by the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).
This statistical report is updated quarterly and contains provisional information on key measurements of local authority collected (LAC) municipal waste for councils and waste management groups in Northern Ireland.
The key points are:
- Northern Ireland's councils collected 229,396 tonnes of waste during January to March 2022, an 8.3% decrease compared to January to March 2021.
- During January to March 2022, 45.4% of waste collected by councils was sent for recycling, 1.1 % cent lower than the recycling rate for January to March 2021.
- The landfill rate for waste collected by councils was 25.2% in January to March 2022, a fall from 76.5% in January to March 2007, but similar to that recorded during January to March 2021.
- Over a quarter (27.7%) of waste arisings were sent for energy recovery in January to March 2022, higher than the 25.7% reported in January to March 2021, and an increase from the 1.2% rate during the same quarter in 2010.
- Household waste accounted for 87.3% of all waste collected during this period.
- The recycling rate for household waste was 45.8% in January to March 2022, lower than the 46.6% recorded during the same quarter of 2021. The landfill rate for household waste was 25.0%, similar to the rate recorded in January to March 2021.